Little Sahara

Tuesday was exciting because Matthew and I got to make a road trip to a nearby attraction: Little Sahara! After working our mandatory hours we grabbed our things and quickly told Yollana where we were going. We had discussed everything at dinner the night before so she was fine with it.


The dunes were a short ten minute drive from our place and it was $20 to get in, even though we had brought our own board. (Yollana had loaned it to us from the business.) After paying our fees and signing our lives away, we threw our flip flops off in the corner of an unguarded public area and headed towards the mountains of sand.



The view in front of me was magnificent; huge mountains of sand billowing up in the middle of all the bushland. There were people of all ages doing all sorts of things. I watched a middle aged guy lay down on his board backwards before sliding all the way down the hill. Another guy near him wiped out and gave me a good laugh.


We walked passed the first two hills, which were a decent size but smaller than the back ones. When I asked why, Matthew of course told me we would be climbing the tallest point so we could go down the toughest course. I commented that this would be the double diamond of sand surfing. I had not sand surfed before but I was up for the challenge.


Surfing was not as smooth as I had imagined. The sand stuck to the board more than snow so it didn't glide as easily. Plus it was sprinkling so that made the sand stickier. We tried to warm up on the back side bunny hill part but it wasn't even steep enough for that. And so, we did our first runs facing the double diamond head-on. Fortunately it was easy to keep balance and the sand permitted us from going too fast. The speed was a medium intensity so you had plenty of time to laugh and holler on your way down. It seemed as though every single time I had to yell “Rippin!” just as I had done during surf lessons.


It took no time for us to catch the hang of it. Previous experience snowboarding, wakeboarding and skateboarding really came in handy. The scary part was that you had to lean forward quite a bit in order to get the leverage you need to move forward. An extra learn forward and you could easily be sumersaulting down the hill.


The board had two handles where we stuck our feet, other than that you were on your own. Matthew and I had a contest on who could surf the farthest without falling or running out of steam. He beat me by a foot. Afterwards I found out how much fun it was to roll down the hill like a child. I got sand everywhere but it was totally worth it.



We only had 45 minutes on the dunes before they closed but by then we were ready to go. The surfing wasn't bad but climbing back up to the top was very tough. Matthew and I both had trouble making it back up. We would stop half way to the top and take big gulps of air. I gulped more than Matthew. The good thing was, we only had one board because that meant while one person boarded the other person had a chance to breath.